L.A. Makerspace is hiring!
We’re on the lookout for Maker Facilitators to run workshops in Robotics, E-textiles, Coding, and Minecraft!
LA Makerspace (LAM) is looking for creative, dynamic individuals with strong maker backgrounds to lead circuit building, electronics, creative robotics, coding, Minecraft, and other STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math) projects for kids, teens, and adults in workshop settings. In this role, you will be responsible for facilitating workshops in public libraries, schools, and private settings.
LA Makerspace’s Maker Facilitators are not typical teachers–they’re makers: inventors, scientists, artists, entrepreneurs, DIYers, and tinkerers who enjoy the art of making and want to help others discover and enjoy it with the very same passion.
LA Makerspace is a community-based organization whose mission is to offer all youth in L.A. the opportunity to learn STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math) skills while growing a Maker mindset.
Scope of Work
- Facilitate creative robotics, electronics, coding, and/or Minecraft workshops in locations throughout the greater Los Angeles area. Most of our workshops are provided through the Los Angeles Public Library (LAPL) or County of Los Angeles Public Library system and take place at library branches. We also provide occasional workshops for school groups or special events.
- Coordinate with LAM staff to transport workshop supplies to workshop sites.
- Create a safe and fun learning environment for participants, including teaching safety skills for materials and equipment.
- Administer program evaluations at the end of each workshop.
- Participate in research and curriculum development projects.
- Expertise robotics, electronics (including circuit building, breadboarding, etc.), coding (including Scratch), and/or Minecraft.
- Creative approach to STEAM aligned with maker ideals.
- Strong interest and background in making; ability to teach maker learning styles to beginners.
- Commitment to ongoing skill development.
- Willingness to work with children, teens, and adults of different backgrounds and abilities.
- Reliable transportation to pick up equipment and teach workshops throughout Los Angeles County.
- Flexible availability, including weekdays, weekends, and/or evenings
- Bilingual in Spanish a plus
- High school diploma required; AA or BA/BS in related fields preferred
- Prior teaching experience with children (6-14 years old), teens, and/or adults
- Significant experience designing/building robots and/or other electronics projects, coding, and/or ability to admin a Minecraft server.
To apply, email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org